TITLE: REGIONAL YOUTH ADVISOR (SAHEL)
TEAM/PROGRAMME: West and Central Africa Regional Office
LOCATION: Bamako, Mali
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
A CHALLENGING AND INFLUENTAL JOB
You will be part of Save the Children, the worlds’ leading Child Rights-based organization. The purpose of this role is to advise and guide Save the Children’s Danida regional programme for the Sahel to a successful outcome. You will both work with capacity strengthening of youth networks as partners, youth empowerment through regional and country programmes and also contribute to regional youth agendas by supporting youth-led innovation and research.
You will be located in Bamako (Mali) and will be traveling in and outside the region. The level of ambition is high, and you will be working with dedicated national and international colleagues, who all strive to make a difference for vulnerable children and youth around the world.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: report to the Save the Children Denmark Head of Education and Youth Engagement, who holds the technical expertise management for SCD programming. In your daily work, you will be supervised by the Save the Children Programme Development and Quality Director in Mali and the Regional Office Children on the Move Advisor based in Dakar (Senegal).
Staff directly reporting to this post: TBD
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will be hired by Save the Children Denmark and formally report to the Save the Children Denmark Head of Education and Youth Engagement, who holds the technical expertise management for SCD programming. In your daily work, you will be supervised by the Save the Children Programme Development and Quality Director in Mali and the Regional Office Children on the Move Advisor based in Dakar (Senegal).
The core responsibilities of the role are:
- Youth CSO networks in the Sahel established and/or strengthened to promote and advocate for youth rights
- Set up and manage innovation fund for youth ideas addressing concerns for youth on the move
- Gender-sensitive evidence on youth protection and participation rights generated to inform advocacy and programming
- Trends analysis of youth migration in the Sahel supported
- Development of youth-friendly tools for children/youth on the move supported
- Training of youth in advocacy skills in order for them to present their cases to the AU and ECOWAS completed
- Work with SC Members and COs to identify and pursue funding opportunities, including support on positioning, donor discussions, project design and proposal development;
- Technical assistance provided to youth networks, CSOs, and Save the Children Country Office staff on technical vocational training and skills development, employment promotion, social and political empowerment of youth, life skills, youth leadership and youth led advocacy
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- A strong commitment to Save the Children’s vision of a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development, and participation.
You have a Master’s degree in social or political science or equivalent. Furthermore, the ideal candidate has:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience of working specifically on the matters of young people’s empowerment, advocacy and organizational capacity development, ideally in the Sahel context.
- Experience of working through and together with others, and with providing technical assistance in a respectful, cultural appropriate manner.
- Expertise in child/youth mobility, ideally in the Sahel context
- Demonstrated experience of writing funding proposals
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in French and English
- Solid knowledge of CSO strengthening and youth empowerment programming and participation
- Experience in project management, ideally management of regional programmes in the Sahel context
- Experience in carrying out analysis related to project baselines; market surveys; youth situation analysis; and tracer studies of youth (desirable experience in youth employment and entrepreneurship issues)
YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE
You have a high level of expertise within the thematic area, which you use to make decisions and continuously develop and implement innovative solutions. You proactively promote dialogue and gather key stakeholders to create urgency and mobilize action. Communication is a key strength of yours and you confidently deliver influential advice and briefings to internal and external audiences. You are a strong networker who actively builds relations and spot opportunities for new working alliances.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
CONDITIONS AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Employment and salary follow Save the Children Denmark’s present terms and conditions. Employment for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Deadline for applications is Sunday 31 December 2017 only at: Email caché
Application language: English or French. First and second interviews will be held in Bamako (first one can be over Skype) in week 4/5 and 6/7 2018.
Please note that we do not accept applications outside of our recruitment system.
For further information, please contact the SCD Area Representative for Africa, Jakob Eilsøe Mikkelsen, Email caché
Save the Children Denmark wants to promote equality and diversity. We encourage all qualified to apply for the position - regardless of ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
Save the Children Denmark (Red Barnet) is a non-governmental humanitarian organization working to realize children’s rights in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Save the Children Denmark is a member of the Save the Children International, which works in 120 countries.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
DOSSIERS A FOURNIR : Les dossiers de candidatures doivent comporter :
- CV détaillé mis à jour ;
- Lettre de motivation mentionnant le titre du poste ;
- Copies certifiées des diplômes et attestations de travail ;
- Casier judiciaire ;
- Références d’au moins deux précédents employeurs (de préférence les superviseurs directs).
NB : Seul(e)s les candidat(e)s présélectionné(e)s seront convoqué(e)s pour les interviews. Les dossiers de candidatures ne seront pas retournés.
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
Bamako, le 12 décembre 2017